Be Here Now – 2 Simple Practices
- Count backwards from 30
- Notice my breathing for 6 breaths (One, I breathe in, One, I breathe out, Two, I breathe in, Two, I breathe out etc.)
- Notice my exhales for 6 breaths and consciously draw lower belly in and up
- Do a quick body scan and tell my body to relax on each body part that I scan (Head, relax, face, relax, neck and throat, relax, shoulder, relax, arms and hands, relax, rib cage, relax, abdomen, relax, whole spine, relax, legs and feet, relax)
- Feel my body resting on the ground.
- Hink of 5 things I’m grateful for in this moment
That takes 3 minutes and 12 seconds (I timed it!) and it brings me back, at least partially.
- SEE , take the time to really look around you, take in what you everything.
- LISTEN to the sounds.
- FEEL the air.
- SMELL the air.
- TASTE the air.
- FEEL your feet as they contact the sidewalk.
- Be right where you are with no expectations or demands. Just right here, right now.
That takes 5 minutes to however long you have. Often when we think about stress, we think that the only way to relax is to lie down – but if you think about it, stress can be the body wanting to move to release the tension, to complete the action, to let go of the adrenaline that is pumping through your veins. Moving is a great way to calm ourselves down.
Hope these two practices help you – Tara
Relaxation reminder to inhale and exhale handwritten in textured sand with selective focus bokeh effect